April 15, 2019
The arrival of a baby sibling is often stressful for most children and parents. Sharing attention, affection, and space with the first time can be extremely challenging for little kids. Here are some tips for parents to make this transition easier for their kids:
(1) Expect your child to have mixed feelings / reactions and show compassion.
(2) Avoid putting pressure on your child to be in love with the new baby.
(3) Don’t make everything about the new baby.
(4) Teach your older child how to safely interact with the baby.
(5) Encourage your older child to help with the new baby, but don’t force it.
(6) During your pregnancy of after the birth of a sibling, be prepared for your older child to show signs of regression—engaging in behaviors typical of younger children.
(7) Fight the urge to loosen up on limits and over-indulge your older child.